Saturday, December 17, 2022

Travel Guide for Lady Runners


Well of course you bring all your running gear: shoes, road or trail, 2 pairs of socks, running shorts or skirt, leggings, rain jacket, buff (maybe 2), hankie, 2 t-shirts, hydration belt or vest, headlamp, sun visor, watch ... and y'all have special little running items you might bring. Of course if you're travelling to colder climes for some icy trail running then you'll need extra pants, gloves, hat and a winter jacket. 

The problem is, what else can you stuff in your carry-on after you've packed all your running essentials?

Just recently, I visited Los Angeles to see my baby grandson, my son and his wife. I got my running stuff safely stowed away in my carry-on. Ok. Then what? Forget bringing presents for everyone. I'm going away for ten days, but it's still ten days of clothing.

What's the best carry-on?

*duffle

*suitcase

*backpack 

All three of these bags can have wheels, which makes them more convenient.

Remember that most airlines allow another bag too, so I don't like the backpack option for my carry-on, since I use the biggest backpack I have for my extra bag. And a duffle can be heavy to carry if you're wandering around an airport. So my conclusion is a small wheelie suitcase is actually the best, or a backpack with wheels if you like carrying heavy bags on your bag. I've tried all three. Last summer I walked through Florence with my carry-on backpack on my back and my small backpack in my hand. It was hot! A few years ago I tied a rope around my too-heavy duffel bag and dragged it through the airport like a dog. Then again, try wheeling a wheelie up a gravel road.

So, it's important to figure out where you'll be spending time moving your bag from one place to the next, and plan accordingly. Then you also have to figure out your maximum volume "personal item". I have a lovely leather purse but that can't be my personal item because its too small. A backpack is best, preferably one with a water bottle pocket. 

Now you have your carryon, your personal bag, and all your stuff. What to take??

Running Gear

  • shoes, road and/or trail
  • 2 pairs of socks
  • running shorts or skirt 
  • leggings
  • rain jacket
  • buff (maybe 2)
  • toque
  • hankie
  • 2 T-shirts
  • arm warmers
  • hydration belt or vest
  • headlamp
  • sun visor
  • watch 
  • protein powder or your favourite gels

Of course if you're travelling to colder climes for some icy trail running then you'll need extra pants, gloves, hat and a winter jacket ... and y'all have special little running items you might bring. 

Other Clothes

  • 3 T-shirts
  • 2 long-sleeved shirt (one fancy)
  • fleece or hoodie
  • 2 pants or skirts (one fancy)
  • 2 dresses (one fancy)
  • 5 underwear
  • 3 socks
  • pyjamas
  • flips flops
  • bathing suit
  • regular shoes or boots
Other Stuff
  • jewelry
  • shower bag: try to avoid liquids by using bar shampoo, conditioner and soap. Don't forget your travel sized toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash, nail clippers, and your favourite moisturizer. I love to bring facial towelettes and I always like to have a washcloth
  • makeup if you use it
  • chargers, laptop, phone, earphones
  • book
  • journal or notebook, pen
  • small day pack/ waist pack or purse
  • snacks/protein bar
  • water bottle
  • earplugs
  • vitamins or meds
Of course you're not going to forget your passport and all your important stuff right?

Annoying Stuff

Ok, so it's winter here but you're going to somewhere warmer? You do have to wear your winter jacket to the airport, and just pack it into a shopping bag if you don't need it where you're going. It's summer here and you're going somewhere cold? Why on earth would you do that?

Presents! If you're going to visit family or friends, or when you're coming home, you want to bring gifts right? But there's no room in your carry-on. You have to think very carefully about gifts, before you pack, and if you plan on bringing a ton of presents and/or bottles back you may want to budget for a check-in bag on your way back. Don't rely on duty free; I've noticed since the pandemics there are often unexpected closures, even in the bigger airports.

Bottom line: have fun! Make sure you bring anything you'll need for your daily run! Buon Viaggio!!


No comments:

Post a Comment