Sunday, November 29, 2020

Healing the World, One Baby at a Time

• PLEASE GIVE ON DECEMBER 1st •

"These are uncertain times, the empathy you share gives me so much hope that loving kindness prevails on Earth.  i wish your family may shine in health, safety, and LOVE."

 ~ in Peace, Ibu Robin ~ 

In 2012 I went to Bali to assist at Bumi Sehat birth center. 

I made friends with Robin Lim, the director, and with Erin Ryan who was the head visiting midwife. I also made friends with the Indonesian midwives who provide night-and-day care for the hundreds of mothers who come there for free maternity care. And I learned to ride a scooter!

I made friends with the midwives by being as helpful as I could: I washed gloves (long story, but necessary), I cleaned, I ran and got things, I watched and listened and kept quiet and never presumed to teach. I learned so much there, about gentle birth, and respectful woman-centred, family-centred care. 

Working with very poor and marginalized women in Montreal has always been my task, and I learned about the realities of many peoples' lives on my trips through the African continent in my younger days (another long story, stay tuned!), so I was not so surprised by the realities that the women we served were living. )

But you might be. And this is why I want to explain why it is so important that you and I open our hearts and our wallets and donate, even a small amount, to Ibu (mother) Robin's birthday campaign. Women come to the birth center in labour, riding on the back of a scooter for hours from rural areas of the island. Some families live in small one-room houses, the size of your bedroom. Some women work hard carrying bricks or stones and only eat rice. 

Your donation can pay for a Covid rapid test for a labouring mother (required by law before she can be attended by a midwife); help Bumi Sehat to pay their midwives (in Bali, Papua. Aceh, Lombok); help buy food for needy families.

I was honored to have a live chat with Ibu Robin on her birthday last week. She explained why she wants everyone to donate on December 1, rather than on her birthday. December 1 will be Giving Tuesday, and Global Giving will be amplifying donations made on that day. 

This is the link to the Bumi Sehat Page on Global Giving:  BumiSehatGG

  

And this is a message from Ibu Robin and her team:

"Please accept our love and gratitude. May your families be safe and well, may the heart-storms of this challenging time on Earth, pass quickly. " Love, Ibu Robin and Team Bumi Sehat.


• PLEASE GIVE ON DECEMBER 1st •


Giving Tuesday Global Timetable:


1 December,from 00:00 to 24:00 ET aka New York City, Peru, Toronto, Montreal time.


California, Seattle, Baja Mexico, time ~ 9 evening of 30 November, to 9 evening 1 December. 


Midwest USA, Mexico City time ~ 11 evening of 30 November, to 11 evening 1 December. 


Moscow time ~ 08:00 morning 1 December until 08:00 am 2 December.


Bali and Singapore, Philippines  ~ 1:00 pm 1 December  until 1:00 afternoon 2 December. 


Jakarta/Java time/Bangkok ~ 12:00 noon 1 December until 12:00 noon 2 December.


Tokyo time~~ 2:00 pm 1 December  until 2:00 afternoon 2 December. 


Paris, Copenhagen, Milano ~ 06:00 morning 1 December until 06:00 am 2 December.


Edinburgh, London ~ 05:00 morning 1 December until 05:00 am 2 December.


Perth, Australia ~ 1pm 1 December until 1pm 2 December


Darwin Australia ~ 2:30pm 1 December until 2:30 2 December


Brisbane, Australia ~ 3pm 1 December until 3pm 2 December (Adelaide add 1/2 hour)


Melbourne & Sydney, Byron Bay, Australia ~ 4 pm 1 December until 4 pm 2 December




No comments:

Post a Comment