Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Serotonin

Much has been made of the hormonal basis for everything we humans achieve (or don't). In the Time magazine I just read, a total of eight pages were devoted to anti-depressant medication, which is understood to target deficiencies in various chemicals in our brains.

A wonderful antidote to the winter blues is a good dose of good food. And I don't mean a huge dose of sweet and sticky feed, I mean a modest portion of excellent food, a glass of wine, and good company. Because these few things will get your hormones rising, and will produce that lovely sense of fullness, satisfaction, and general contentment with the world that you feel after a meal with friends.

Those friends can also be a good book, don't get me wrong. I'm not limiting a happy meal to those of us with constant companionship.

But the meal my husband made on Sunday night was magnificent, and the hormones were definitely flowing.

Fettucine ai Fungi; Chicken Schnitzel; Tossed Salad; Fruit Salad ... and Irish Coffee to top it all off.

No comments:

Post a Comment